Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Discipline

So where does it come from, discipline? Are we born with it? Does it ebb and flow? How do we obtain it? Discipline! I can’t buy it. But if I could I would go right out and purchase some because it because it has such a great value. With it I can accomplish almost anything. I can go to the moon. I can bake a loaf of bread. I can persist and chip away at tasks that are so large and intimidating that most would never even try. With it, tasks are whittled away to something manageable and doable. It is the coming back, the patience, the persistence, the belief in the process and the organization of mental capacity in the attainment of a worthwhile goal. Not all at once. Not in one night, not in three days, but over years. This is true discipline.






Devery has just graduated from college. With perfect grades. As the valedictorian of her college. She did it all herself. She saw the task and believed in the process and set out to accomplish it and accomplish it well, and she showed true discipline in the process. By the time it was all over, she had patiently and persistently worked her way through a bachelor’s degree and in so doing had done it nearly perfectly. You did a great job, Devery. We are very proud of you. Thanks for teaching us in the process how having a little discipline (well probably a lot of discipline) can make the significant task manageable. The daunting, attainable; the practically out of reach, reachable-- all by coming back every day and giving it your very best, and sticking to it all the way to the rugged end. CONGRATULATIONS!

2 comments:

  1. Yay Devery! We are so proud of you. Way to push through and finish up strong. We wish we could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of Dev! When I think of her accomplishments it makes me smile from ear to ear. Watch out Grad School!

    ReplyDelete